Basic Requirements for Completion
Students will be qualiﬁed for the degree upon successful completion of the following requirements:
- Period of Enrollment: In principle, a student must be enrolled as a regular, full-time student in the Master’s Program for 2 years. However, the degree may also be granted to outstanding students in less than two years. In this case, the minimum period of full-time enrollment is 1.5 years.
- Credit Requirements: Students are required to earn 44 credits or more which must include all credits from Required Subjects and Seminars and 8 credits from Elective Subjects to complete the program.
- Research Project (Master’s Thesis / Independent Final Report/ Internship-based Case Study) Requirements: All students must complete an extended piece of writing (Research Project), which presents the ﬁndings and conclusions of their individual research. GSM students may choose between 3 types of Research Projects: Master’s Thesis, Independent Final Report or Internship-based Case Study. All Research Projects must be approved in accordance with the University's examination procedures. For further details on requirements and examination procedures, see the information in the Research Projects page.
Credit Requirements for Completion
Students must acquire at least 44 credits for program completion. In addition to the designated minimum number of credits from Required Subjects (22), Elective Subjects (8) and Seminars (6), students must complete at least additional 8 credits from any of the subject categories listed below. Please check the GSM Subject List below for the category in which each class falls (i.e. Required Subject, Seminar Subject, etc.).
|Subject Type||Minimum Required Credits||Credit Rules|
Students should register for subjects related to their chosen Specialization*.
Any credits earned from Elective Subjects exceeding the minimum required
|Core Related Subjects||-||Credits earned from Core Related Subjects will count towards the credits required for program completion **|
*See below for a list of Specializations
**Subjects from the Graduate School of Asia Paciﬁc Studies will also be counted
Students may specialize in one of the four fields below. Completion of 1) at least 4 Elective Subjects (8 credits) and 2) a supervisor affiliated to one of these fields is necessary to obtain a Specialization. Students may also choose to complete the MBA degree without Specialization. In addition to satisfying the specialization requirements, students who completed at least 4 Elective Subjects (8 credits) from Japanese Management can apply for a Double Specialization.
|Japanese Management (JM)|
|Accounting and Finance (AF)|
|Marketing and Management (MM)|
|Innovation and Operations Management (IOM)|
|Possible Double Specializations|
|Japanese Management (JM) ⇔ Accounting and Finance (AF)|
|Japanese Management (JM) ⇔ Marketing and Management (MM)|
|Japanese Management (JM) ⇔
Innovation and Operations Management (IOM)
GSM Model Registration – it is recommended that students register for courses as shown below.
|Maximum Credit Limits||2-year Standard Completion||1.5-year Accelerated Completion|
- 1. Students will not be penalized or charged extra fees for earning more than 44 credits.
- 2. Upon acquisition of 44 credits and the fulfillment of all graduation requirements, students will be awarded a Master’s degree. Students may not register for additional subjects after completing all graduation requirements.